Jagua Castle. Declared national patrimony, the fortress of Nuestra Senora de los Angeles de Jagua was finished in 1745. It is an example of the military architecture of the 18th century in Cuba.
Castle of Jagua. The ancient fortress, that custody the entrance of the Cienfuegos's bay from 1745, is today one of the symbols that identify this city. Their complete name is Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Jagua, Creole symbiosis of the peninsular calendar and the aboriginal voice, that although extinguished, left its print in many local patronymics.
The Castle of Jagua owes its project to the military engineer José Tantete, who erected this solid construction in stone, of cubic structure, with two levels, a drawbridge and an arched hut. Everything it to the noted French engineer's style Sebastián Le Pestre that orchestrated their own well-known system of fortifications as Vauban in which establishes the harmonic relationship among the landscape, the topography and the geometric forms.
If during the XVII century it contained the filibusters like Francis Drake, Jacques de Sores, Guillermo Bruce, Juan Morgan, Lorenzo Craff and other terrible sea wolves that also sought to benefit their crowns with the ultramarine wealth, in 1762 it occupied an excellent place in the history of Cuba, when serving from headquarters to the Spanish military control, in front of the brief English occupation of the country.