Officially inaugurated in February 12,1890,the Tomás Terry theater it integrates the collection of buildings that are located around the Park of Cienfuegos.
It was built, like part of the idea of perpetuating the wealthy merchant's Tomas memory Terry ,whose family invested part of its inheritance in the edification of this theater. Architects from Havana, Madrid and Paris participated in the contest, that was carried out to choose the best project. It that was winning of the Cuban engineer, Lino Sánchez Mármol who directed the works later.
The theater Tomás Terry has wide portals with arcades. It can shelter about 1200 spectators. In their interior stand out exquisite rooms decorated by the painter from Madrid Camilo Selaya . The superior part of the facade was adorned with three masquerades of ceramic mosaics, made by the house Salviatti, of Venice. They represent the comedy, the tragedy and the music.
The theater was initially concluded in 1889 but it was not inaugurated until the following year. In this cultural institution, spectacles have been presented with big figures of the national and international art. They have acted in this theater, Enrico Caruso, Pastora Imperio, Arquímedes Pous y Luisa Martínez Casado.